Saturday, October 17, 2009

Project - Ditch Stick

I built project Ditch Stick for myself because most of my float rods are between 11 feet and 13 feet long. The longer length makes these rods less desirable to fish with on smaller creeks and area's with overhanging trees and other obstacles are abundant.

The Ditch Stick was built on a 9ft 8wt. 4 piece blank. I decided to go with a beefier (8wt.) blank so that I could control the fish better in area's that have submerged timber and other obstructions. Normally a fly fisherman would opt for a 6 or 7 weight rod for Steelhead fishing. This rods has more nuts than I'll ever need on my smaller creeks. I have the power!
  • The guides that were used for this build were Fuji Alconites in standard "float rod" sizes.
  • The handle is custom made from individual cork rings (Natural burl and Burnt cork).
  • The reel seat is also made from cork - warmer in the winter months!
  • The reel seat hardware is an RA8L2 from Batson Enterprises.
I fished with this rod for the first time this past Wednesday, and I am extrememly pleased with the power of the blank and the rest of the build. It will serve me well on my smaller waters.

Here are a few pictures of my lil stick:
Project Ditch Stick 1
Project Ditch Stick 2
(The reel in these pictures is a Torrent from http://www.painefallscetnerpin.com)