Saturday, March 7, 2009

Project ~ "The Hammer"

I was fortunate enough to be asked to build a Fly Rod for Woodland Rivers Forum, which is based in Michigan (http://kmfproductions.com/phpbb/index.php).

The rod was raffled off as Woodland Rivers' way of showing their appreciation to their members. The drawing took place January 21, 2009, and I have since contacted the winner (Ta5teless), and together he and I have come up with a plan of action.

The components for the build were just ordered this afternoon, so it will take a week or two before I receive the materials.

The blank is going to be a St. Croix Legend Ultra 10' 0" 6wt, 4pc (model 4F1006.4).
I am using Titanium framed stripper guides from American Tackle, and RECoil single foot fly guides (RSFX) to finish it off. Together this combination should produce an extremely lightweight finished rod. The blank weighs 2.6 ounces, and I'm estimating a complete, finished weight of 4.5 to 5 ounces. Give me a few weeks and I'll have a definite answer on that one.
The rod will have a hand turned wooden insert in the reel seat, as well as matching wood inlays throughout the Full Wells style handle.

I will certainly post pictures of the build process once I get started.
I am very eager to get started on this build, for a few reasons:
* It's nice to support Woodland Rivers, and "give back" a bit of what they've given me.
* I've never built on that St. Croix blank before, or any of the SCIV blanks for that matter.
* I can sense how enthusiastic Tas5teless was about the build, and he has given me full creative freedom. I can do whatever I want!

Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment